Talents and practice (Writing Task 2)

Post your Task 1 or 2 response and/or read the responses of other students and provide feedback.
minader

Talents and practice (Writing Task 2)

Post by minader »

Hello, could you please read this essay and correct mistakes or errors? Please, you'd help me a lot.
I aim to achieve a band 6...
It is generally believed that some people are born with certain talents, for instance for sport or music, and others are not. However, it is sometimes claimed that any child can be taught to become a good sports person or musician.
Discuss both views and give your own opinion.
Some people think that a necessary condition to excel in a particular field is to be born with a talent or skill, while others claim that it is practice that makes the difference.
In my opinion, both the point of views are true and have their importance, but not at the same level.

Firstly, I believe that practicing strongly counts in order to get over the average level in any fields. Simply having a talent for something, even in the case this supposed talent is above majority of people, lead to nowhere if one does not cultivate it properly. It's possible that you have a particular or a special skill but that you remain unaware of it unless you don't develop it with the required practice.
I don't think that famous musicians or sports men such as Mozart or Cristiano Ronaldo would have gone far without practicing hard. Keep trying as best as one can has surely its relevance.

However, if anyone can really reach the same ability level even by practicing for a long time is a matter which I'm not sure about, especially when I think about my personal experience or to what I see daily in the world. Actually, I think this is not the way things are.
For example, my brother and I both like playing football, but despite the fact that I'm two years older and that I practice at least twice more often than him, he still outmatches me whenever he gets the chance. This suggest me that his ability is not only due to practice, but that he actually has a special skill which he is born with.
Moreover, an individual as skillful as the already mentioned Mozart, is likely to have some special talents that make him somehow better than the average man.

In conclusion, it is my opinion that while practicing is essential, having a special skill or a talent is what really makes the difference.